Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sweet Words

I love to cook, but even more so I love to sit around a full dinner table and chat with my family. I actually do the majority of the listening for a change as the kids always have something interesting to say.

This is a favorite time of mine. It is like a winding down of the day. Pretty much all things are done by 6:00 at our house. School is finished, chores are done, work is over. The time to relax is now. I try not to think about the clean up from dinner, which in my kitchen is ALWAYS big since I am a very messy cook! I relish the time we share while enjoying a good meal.

Easter Dinner was no exception. But this time my husband was asking specific questions and the person who answered was the last person I thought would know all that he knew.

Our 9 year old little boy, as most of you know, is adopted. Along with his sweet smile, easy laugh and impish personality came some big cognitive delays, amongst other things. Teaching him right from wrong has been a challenge to say the least. Trying to get him to understand abstract things has been near impossible.

But not tonight. Tonight our little man surprised, amazed and excited us all. He not only answered all the questions, he answered them so fast that the other three didn't have a chance to get a word in. The conversation went something like this:

Daddy: So, who can tell me why we celebrate this special day?
Isaac: Because Jesus died on the cross on Good Friday and rose on Easter Sunday
Daddy: Very good Isaac, why did he have to die?
Isaac: Because we are sinners Daddy and he rose so he could prepare a place for us in heaven. (I am not kidding, those were his exact words!! THANK YOU SWEET JESUS!)
Daddy: What would happen if He didn't die for us?
Isaac: Then we would go to hell and it isn't nice there, you would much rather be in heaven. You have to tell Jesus you love him and tell him you are sorry for your sins and then you get to go to heaven with him.

My heart was singing that night. It is still singing when I remember it all. I wish you could understand what I do about Isaac and his struggle to learn the simplest tasks. I wish you could see him struggle to read each word, to write his alphabet. I wish you could see how hard he works with such little gain.

But it doesn't matter does it? In the grand scheme of things my little boy is brilliant! He has heard the greatest mystery of all times and believes. He has taken in the wonder of Christ and has faith to believe.

how he gets it and what he understands is no matter to me. It is obvious that God has touched his heart. It is obvious in my mind that God has a plan for my little boy. It is obvious that God has begun a good work in him......................PRAISE THE LORD!

XO

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Hugs and tears of joy with you. I LOVE hearing my kids "get it". Blessings on you all and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete