Friday, June 4, 2010

mom's

I love my mom, but we see the world differently sometimes and that makes getting along tough.

But a month ago I put all that aside and sat down to remember all the great things she has done for me over the years. The list is long, which is a good thing!

So, for Mother's Day this year I put those things down on some nice card stock paper, bought a nice picture frame and gave it to her. I not only gave it to her, I read it out loud to her for all of our family (18 at the time) to hear. I think I needed her to know how I feel and I am sure she needed to hear it.

This idea isn't my own. I read a book by Dennis Rainey a few years back about leaving a legacy to your parents. He talks about writing down all the things you love about them, or the things they have done for you BEFORE they are no longer with us. He also encourages you to read it outloud to them. HARD!!! It is a great book and although I read it three years ago I wasn't in the right frame of mind to write my letter until recently.

The letter is below. I hope this encourages you to write to your parents and if they aren't with us any longer, write it anyway. It will be a good thing for you to remember and to share with your children about what a great mom or dad you have/had. No matter how difficult our lives might have been or are now, there is ALWAYS something loving you can say about your parents. My dad is next...................

XO

Mom,
I wanted to share some things that I love about you for Mother’s Day.

I love that figured me out from the start and worked with me on my strengths and weaknesses
I love that you made me try sports even though I was petrified to do anything new.
I love that you tried your hardest to make me a student, even though I only wanted to socialize.
I love that you let me sit and talk with your friends on occasion. It made me feel all grown up.
I love that you trusted me when I went out in high school.
I loved that you instilled in me a moral compass in all aspects of my life, even if I didn’t always follow it.
I love that you sent me awesome care packages in college just so I wouldn’t feel lonely.
I love that you always made the holidays so special with decorations, goodies and gifts.
I love that you still correct my grammar.
I love that you gave me a passion for cooking as you are a fantastic chef.
I love that you love my husband
I love that you love our children

I know that over the years we have had our differences and we are not big on telling each other our feelings; but I also know that you will always love me and I will always love you.

Thanks for being such a great mom.
XO
h

No comments:

Post a Comment