Thursday, December 24, 2009

Music

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them and they were greatly afraid. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all t...he people. Today in the town of David a Savior is born to you; He is Christ the Lord!" Lk 2:8-12
************************************************************************************

I love music. I am not much of a musician, and I can't sing a lick, but I love music. I love to hear it, sing along - alone :), play it with my one finger on the piano, anything. It moves me, makes me feel and just gives me such pleasure.

My mom bought us a clock for an early Christmas gift. It is a Thomas Kinkade clock that plays a Christmas song every hour. I just love it! I love all the Christmas songs from Silent night, O Little town of Bethlehem to Frosty the snowman. They give me a warm and snuggly feeling all over.

The other night when I was singing to Isaac - the last of my children who enjoys my voice!! HA! He asked me about the songs on the clock. We talked about them for a while and then he asked if one of his favorite songs is on that clock - "In Christ Alone". I told him it wasn't, it isn't a Christmas song. He asked, "Well, why not?"

Good question! Have you heard this song? I suspect that most of you have. It is a beautiful song and I have written the lyrics below if you want to look at them again. My favorite rendition is done by Avalon.

Anyway, Isaac is right, why isn't this a Christmas song? Yes it isn't completely focused on his birth, but it IS the entire circle of His life. How He came down, as flesh, was scorned and died for us! US! This ALWAYS amazes me. When I look at my life sometimes I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that He came for me. A sinful, ugly mess of a gal!

But the fact remains, HE DID! He did all of that, he came here to this earth on a very special day, unknown to so so many. He walked this earth as the Prince of Peach, the Mighty Counselor, the Messiah. He died, a horrible death, a painful seemingly unfair death. But then he rose again so that we would know that he wasn't just another god, but THE GOD. The one who came to save the people.

I encourage you to not only listen to "Christmas" music this season, but CHRISTmas music as well ..............today and everyday. I find when that type of music fills my house, then my heart is sweeter, my day is more relaxed and my life in general is better.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!!
XO

**************************************************************************
In Christ Alone
In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness Scorned by the ones He came to save
‘Til on that cross as Jesus died The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine Bought with the precious blood of Christ
No guilt in life, no fear in death This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘til He returns or calls me home Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! We sang this at our church yesterday morning ... it doesn't matter how many times i hear it, the words to this song always bring tears to my eyes. What a good God we have!

    ReplyDelete