Friday, December 18, 2009

Quiet time........missing

So I am in the middle of writing another post and I can't get a moments peace! I don't kow about you, but I swear I have ADD! Not kidding, if I need to think I have to have absolute peace and quiet or it just doesn't come.........My brain freezes or something. So, I gave up that piece I was writing and am writing about what is going on now.........interuptions!!!

I know, my circumstances are different from most at the moment. I am living with 5 other people and an 85lb dog in a 31ft RV traveling around the country. We have a master bedroom in the back and a bathroom and living space that sleeps everyone else. So, in order to escape the noise, I crawl into my room and try to think.

Like most mom's the second you are quiet and invovled in something in come the troops with a 1,000 problems. Why doesn't this happen when you are with them? I am sitting at the table, grading math papers and the kids are all around me and I ask my teens a question..........no one answers! I ask it again and this time I use their names. I get an answer, but nothing monumental, just a quick response.

But the second mom is no where to be found they turn into the FBI and come hunting you down in order to ask you a pile of very unimportant questions. Most of my kids questions have to do with food: ie: Mom, can I have another cookie? Mom, when is dinner? Mom, what are we having for dinner? (menu is on the fridge, but apparently they have all forgotten how to read). Or they are tattlers: ie: Mom, I asked so and so to get off the computer and she won't and she isn't doing anything important. Mom, he won't share the bed with me. Or, my favorite: Mom, when are you going to be done? - 10 minutes later - Mom, are you almost done?

Now, let me say that I love my children. I enjoy their company and I love teaching them. BUT, everyone needs a little space now and again, especially when you are home with them all day. So why is it that they can't understand that? I know my teens need their alone time. They crave privacy at times. So why don't they see mom in the same light?

Quiet time with God can be difficult as well, but I have tried to make a point of getting up early, turning on my light and doing some Bible reading and praying before the troops arise. Most days this works just fine. Others, not so much. I am blessed with a husband who gets up early and goes to the gym or biking EVERY morning. Most of the time I feel blessed because I can get up and have some quiet time. Other times I miss him......but that is another story. Anyway, my point is that there are times during the day when I can get a little peace, but I reserve that for God, otherwise it would NEVER get done.

Growing up my mom used to lock herself in the bathroom just to read a book. We would plant ourselves in front of the door and wait until she came out. Why? I don't know. I have tried to relive that moment to understand my feelings, but I can't seem to bring them up. She also used to mop the kitchen floor and we had to go in the basement (rec room) while she did it. Then we couldn't come up until it was dry. The basement door was in the kitchen. I always wondered why it took over 2hours for a floor to dry.........now I know why :)

XO

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This is SO motherhood! I've teased my kids before that if I can't find them, all I have to do is start mopping the floors - amazing how they appear out of nowhere and suddenly need to walk right through the middle of what I'm doing. It's a good thing we really like our kids - or we wouldn't be able to stand living with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie here....YES! You say so well how I feel on most days... Brian and I always thought that it has to get better once our kids get older, but after reading your post, maybe we should have more realistic expectations! I have done the "locked inside the bathroom" thing, and it truly is not long before little hands and toes are protruding under the bottom of the door. :-)

    ReplyDelete