Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Great Expectations

Great Expectations.......I'm in the process of reading this book. It has been on my list for a while, along with many others. But today I am not talking about the book, I am talking about life.

The devil is always at work, trying to find another way into our lives. Once we really begin to follow the Lord, the obvious ways the devil can get to us are usually easy, well, maybe easy isn't the right word, just more apparent, to avoid. Basically following the 10 commandments. But what I am talking about are the sneaky ways he tries to get in there and just ruin our day, month, year. Turning us from a loving Christian into a three headed monster!

For me one of those things are expectation. I rely too heavily on them at times, even though I know I shouldn't. Even though I have even talked to people about this very topic, it still sneaks into that brain of mine. I expect to have enough $$ to buys food. I expect my children to want to get their school work done. I expect to be able to have some quiet time in the morning before I start my day. I expect that my husband understands all my moods. I expect that everyone will enjoy my dinner without complaint.

OK, can you see how the expectations can set you up? How the devil can set you up to feel justified in your anger, worry and frustration? Can you see that this is his ploy? And the worst part is, it is one of a million. He is the master of confusion, the master of disillusionment, the master ill will toward our brothers and sisters. And yet, we let him in.............

Great expectations lead to greater disappointment. When you are waiting for something to happen, planning on something and then it doesn't come to fruition, things can get ugly! If I mentioned all the examples of this in my life I think it could fill a small book! UGH!

But The Lord tells us in Matthew 6:31-34 "So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

God's word also says: "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour; resist him, standing firm in the faith"..................1 Peter 5: 7-9a

I go over these verses in my mind a lot. I wouldn't call what goes through my mind worry, just constant thinking :) Is there a difference? Probably not.....................HA!

When I first became a Christian my "worry bucket", as my husband called it, was always full and if it wasn't, he knew something was wrong. It was just me, part of the package. But after the Lord took root in my heart that is one of the first things he emptied. I was SO grateful.

I say all that because worry is in me. I have to pray hard to get rid of it-daily. I am sure we all have certain things that have been woven into our lives so long that they are hard to let go. Bad habits die hard after all,

I think expectations add to this constant thinking and worrying about things. Not that we should lower our expectations, just that we need to rethink what God has in store for us. Allowing God to be in complete charge of our lives should actually calm us down. We should rest in the fact that we have no worries because God is in control. When I am reminded of this I let out a sigh of relief!

I wrote this blog back in December! I could never really finish it. I didn't think it quite rolled off my tongue. It was all disjointed. I have written some more and it still seems a bit disjointed, but I am a little off anyway LOL! I hope you get what I am trying to say. Let go and let God, isn't that what some people say?

Personally I find tremendous peace in the fact that the Lord knows each hair on my head, he knows my words before they come out of my mouth, he has a plan for my life. THANK YOU GOD!!!!! Now those are some expectations we can count on! God never changes, never fails us.

AMEN!
XO

1 comment:

  1. Timely words! I just finished writing a post for tomorrow, about my tendency to overspiritualize things. After reading what you've written, though, I wonder if I'm "overspiritualizing" or if I'm worrying/building up wrong expectations/trying to find comfort somewhere other than Christ - just giving my sin a more righteous sounding name, "overspiritualizing". Thanks for writing, Sue!

    ReplyDelete