Wednesday, February 10, 2010

church size

We went to church this past Sunday at Fellowship Bible in Arkansas.

Can you say huge??? I am sure there are others out there that are big. Thousands of people walked the halls.............I am in awe.

I am always amazed at the size of these mega churches. So many thoughts go through my brain like; WOW all these Christians worshiping God!! WOW!! Look at all the outreach services, kids ministries, men's and women's groups they have! How great is that!

But, also, I think of things like - too big! HA! I know simple, but for me, true. We walked in there and received a bulletin and a big smile and welcoming hello, but no one would have known if we were visitors or life long members. I am sure I could walk those halls for years and years and still see few people I knew, who I really knew.

It reminded me of my college experience. For two years I went to a small school in PA. 2300 students. Each and every day I would see hundreds of faces that were familiar to me as I walked around campus. All the girls in my dorm I knew by name. It was great. But, being 11 hours from my boyfriend (now husband) was too much for me, so I transferred to a university in NC to be closer. That one had 15,000 people. Not huge by university standards, but super big for me. I can honestly say I walked to classes most days without ever seeing a friendly face. I didn't like it one bit.

For me it is sad. I think church should be a place where people really know each other, hold each other accountable, help raise your children, bond! How can you do that with 1000's of people.

I am sure there is an argument for the other side. And I am sure it is a good one, but I just don't like them. I need more people time. I need to see familiar faces and more than just 10. I like to see how my 80 year old friend is getting on. I like to hear how a friend is doing with her new born baby and all the women in the church are giving her a shower. I like it when we have our welcoming time before service that I can just about shake everyones hand or at least wave! I like that we , as a church body, can have a picnic and fit in the park! HA! The list just goes on.

Bottom line really is that God made us all different - good thing! There is room for HIS church big or small. As long as the body is serving the Lord, worshiping Him and bringing Glory to Him, all's good. I just like it small.........................

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment