Wednesday, March 31, 2010

1 John

1 John 1:1-4 (NKJ) "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life— 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things we write to you that your[a] joy may be full."

I was sitting around today while my kids were doing school. Yes, you read that right, sitting around. Dishes were cleaned, dog walked, RV relatively tidy................so what was I to do? I decided to pull out my Bible and read while everyone else was quiet. Rare moment!!! I usually try and take care of that part of my day early, before I hear anyone else. But I didn't get to it this AM. So............off I go. And to be honest, I make a point to let my kids see me doing this as this is how I expect them to behave- as active Bible readers!!!

Usually I am involved in a study of some sort. It keeps me motivated to read my Bible and talk to God daily. But this afternoon I thought I would just read somewhere............so I picked 1John. I don't read this often. No reason really, I just don't. But as soon as I started to read I was struck by the very first paragraph. The one I have written to you at the top.

First I want to say how much I enjoyed this verse. Here John is writing to us to let us know that he/they have seen Christ. He was right there in front of them. He touched Christ. He is telling us this so that we can know that all that was promised to us, a life of eternity with Christ, is ours too! AND he is telling us this not only so we can declare it as well, but so that our joy may be complete! WOW! Thanks John!!

We don't have to worry about the fact that we did not see him. John and others have seen him. We too can be a part of this fellowship of believers. They are declaring this to us. Don't you think this also means that we too need to declare this to others? We are now part of that fellowship, and as members we need to let others know that there were witnesses to this miracle. This was not just another man claiming to be God, this WAS God. John wants us to rest in that.

I was really moved by these verses today. I am not sure why. Maybe it is because of what a special time of year it is. I have been thinking about Christ eating his last meal with his beloved friends. Thinking about him washing their feet as they looked on him in awe and wonder. Thinking about what he took on for us, for me, so that God would see me white as snow. Thinking of him rising again so that God would be glorified and we would all have a place with him forever.................so much to think about.

John is letting us know that all these things came to pass. He has been a witness to them. He is declaring them to all that will listen. He is reminding us that this is what was from the beginning. It was given to them and now to us so that we may be in glory with the Father.

My heart is full. Feeling the fullness of Christs love could only do one thing and that is bring us complete joy. What a gift. What a true blessing. What a treasure to rest upon, especially in these troubling times.

No comments:

Post a Comment