Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seekers

I am reading this book, on the side, called Basic Christianity by John R.W. Stott. It was given to me by our friends Bonnie and Brian. Brain is going to Dallas Seminary and this is just one of 15 books he had to read in ONE semester for an apologetics class! ONE! Yikes!

For me it is a heavy read. It is not something you read in bed before you go to sleep. Since I am living in a 31ft RV and responsible for teaching my children during the day, I don't get a whole lot of quiet time.

I need quiet for this book. It isn't a "fluff" book. You know the ones I am talking about. The ones that you can read in the middle of a mall and get it because there is no thinking involved.

This is NOT one of those books. I need total peace in order to hear what the author is saying. I am not very far, but there is a great point that I have read so far and I wanted to share it with you.

Stott writes, "God has spoken. God has acted. The record and interpretation of these divine words and deeds is to be found in the Bible. And there for many people they remain. As far as they are concerned, what God has said and done belongs to past history; it has not yet come out of history into experience, out of the Bible into life. God has spoken; but have we listened to his word? God has acted; but have we benefited from what he has done?

.......................At this stage it is necessary to make only one point: we must seek. God has sought us. He is still seeking us. We must seek him. "

He goes on to say, " We must seek diligently. 'man is as lazy as he dares to be,' wrote Emerson. But the matter is so serious that we must overcome our natural laziness and apathy and give our minds to the quest. God has little patience with triflers; "he rewards those who seek him"." (Heb 11:16)

And again he says, "But God's promise is addressed only to the earnest seeker: "You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart."

I have been thinking about this for a while. I have been asking myself this question, "Are you a seeker of God?" I think it is a great question, an important one. I think Emerson is right. We are lazy. I am speaking generally of course, but I know for me I fit that bill!

I will pray later after I check the computer...................

I will have a chance to read my Bible before I go to bed, but my other book calls me so.............

I can pray about this situation tomorrow, right now it feels good to do it...................

There are all sorts of ways you can avoid God. Being a true Christian is tough work! We need to be active. We need to be seekers. We need to call on, be in the presence of, read the word of - GOD.

I try and put it on an earthly level at times. For example, if you have a friend, who lives far away, how is it that you can still know her if you don't seek her? You need to call, be in touch, pray for her.

How is it then we can know God if we don't seek Him? All relationships need to be nurtured, no matter what they are. They all need to be attended to and thought about.

Then there is the whole thing about the promises of God. How much we will miss out if we do not seek God. I can only imagine all the blessings that have been lost for me because I was off doing my own thing. God was in the background, not the forefront. How sad!

So, lets be seekers; beginning today! Let us pray that the Holy Spirit will help us to remember that we are to be seekers of the one and only true God. ACTIVE seekers! Not passive seekers. Let us MOVE!!!!!!!!!

Dear sweet Lord, help me to be a seeker of you. Give me the desire to be in your presence. Help me to desire your ways and not my own. Help me to overcome my laziness and be an active seeker of your word. I love you Lord. amen...........

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment