Monday, March 29, 2010

Mean Mommy

I just read a friend of mines blog- http://www.hurricane-camille.blogspot.com/
She writes a GREAT blog if you need another one to add to your list. She has a gift.

Anyway, she talked about the honor of being a mother and a bit on how Daddy always gets the big greeting when he walks through the door and all the other fun things!

It reminded me a lot of how I have been feeling lately. I have named myself the mean mommy. I am the one to do all the dirty work. Yes, my husband does his part in the disciplining of our children, but he is fun on the other side. Me, I am just, well, mean mom. I have things to do, places to clean, meals to cook, papers to grade and character building to accomplish. I am just no fun! HA! I can't seem to step out of the serious role and into the fun role like my husband can.

The incredible thing is that my husband is known as the funny one with the kids. They think he is a riot! I am like WHAT!???? LOOK AT ME! I AM THE SILLY ONE!!! They don't see it though. I guess if I was to look at our lives right now I wouldn't see it either. I am the mean mommy.

Ironically one of the reasons my husband and I were attracted to one another was because I made him laugh and he grounded me! Go figure!

Each summer my family goes to the Jersey Shore to have at least a week long visit with my parents, brothers and their families. So much fun. There are 16 of us in all, not to mention the dogs, and we have a great time.

One of our traditions is to go to the boardwalk in Seaside Heights NJ. It is a dump really, but we just have to go, it is tradition! I have been doing it since I was 12. We eat greasy pizza, watch the weird people walk down the boardwalk, and of course ride the rides.

here is one crazy ride that goes around in a circle while you sit sideways in a car. The circle is not flat, there are hills and valleys. They spin you faster and faster and then they send you backwards just as fast, all the while blaring 80's music.

I always go on this ride with my sister in law Julie. It is amazing how a little ride can transform you back to the age of 16. We get on that ride and we are silly teens again doing embarrassing stuff. We flap our arms, make a thumbs up hitching a ride, do a little dance, scream, sing,....whatever. I laugh so hard trying the whole time not to squish Julie with the centrifugal force of the ride.

Funny thing happened this past summer though. I got off the ride and went up to my girls who were smiling kinda funny like. I asked them what was so funny and my mom chimed in. She said, "They were looking at you all funny while you were on that ride and I told them that you used to act like that ALL THE TIME when you were their age."

Can I tell you a I breathed a sigh of relief! My girls actually saw it! They saw me having fun! They saw me acting goofy, silly, laughing with tears. They witnessed it. YES!

I have to remember that God wants us to love life. He gave us breath, life, we need to live it! So why am I always so serious when it comes to my children?

I am not sure I can answer that. I am still trying to figure it all out. I keep hearing myself saying, "Lighten up Francis!" I can't seem to do it though. One of those things God needs me to work on. So today, I am going to try and laugh with my children. You know the laugh. Good belly laughs that hurt.

XO

1 comment:

  1. Sue, This could be me you're talking about. Don't know if I'm so much a "mean" mommy as a "definitely-not-much-fun" mommy. Like you, this is something I'm trying to work on. Maybe because older kids are physically less exhausting, having fun seems easier with a bunch of teenagers. Or maybe it's because we're starting to "get" each other's jokes! Thanks for the post - it's nice to know others share this walk. :)

    ReplyDelete